Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Monday, July 10, 2006

Movie Weekend

The week turned out pretty good. While friends complaint that I hardly ever go to movies (2 movies in theatres in 4 years), TV can sometimes find me catching one.
This sat, I tuned into Hum Tum, a movie I had earlier liked on video so watched it again. 1 good thing about the movie, apart from a somewhat different treatment is that the songs don't hurt as much. Unlike say Hera Pheri - brilliant movie where songs suddently come up and sock you firmly on the jaw, making you think what the hell was that director smoking, please never ever give me that, the songs in this movie don't really inhibit the flow of the movie.
Sun, again I could not sleep so thought of tuning into Football world cup. Discovered 'Suraj Ka Saatwan Ghoda' coming on Zee Classic. Eminently enjoyable flick. Its story telling in a pretty neat way and the depiction of a small town, old world Indian town is realistic enough. Again, 2 songs did manage to somehow to fall into the story, still at 2 only and atleast one of them, appropiate and germane to the story, it was a well made movie.
Songs for me, indicate the coward nature of our story tellers. They all claim to be experimenting, thinking of original ideas, but 99% simply fall to the idiocy of throwing in a few songs because we Indians apparently can't go in life without breaking into tunes at the drop of the hat. To me, a director who cannot have the courage not to have a song in the movie, will not have the courage to be original either. Period.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right you are. The most disturbing and distracting element in a movie, specially with good direction , story and artists, is poorly placed songs.