Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Just finished reading India Unbound

I normally buy and read only fiction. It so happened that I was at FC Road, waiting for someone, and as is my wont, get into Book World. I was almost without cash so buying that Wodehouse collection was out of question. Saw this affordable copy of India Unbound by Gurcharan Das. I have read his column in Sunday TOI but really, what I read keenly in that now a days tabloid is cartoons, Jug Suraiya and Bachi Karkaria. so I did not really know if I'll find this much good.
The book turns out to be surprizingly interesting. Author has made a good case of highlighting the wrong policies followed by India and the notions and people behind it. its a good mix of facts, fancies and insights into an important period of India and is a good read for those into this kind of reading.
I hope there will be another work like this, which will highlight how we may still loose the plot. There are plenty of roadblocks ahead and a pity that while we realized that our policies were wrong and keep so many so poor all this time, we still are unable to shake off the burden of stale thoughts.
On other note, there was this beautifully bound complete collection of Calvin and Hobbes and at over 6000. Grrrr

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This guy had come to Microsoft some months back to talk about this book and I had to say I was impressed by him and the facts he brought out about India and some comparison with China.
After all a Harvard grad and ex P&G India CEO... he's got to be good.