Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Monday, July 17, 2006

Easy way

I remember reading a story in Chandamama (1 of the better children story book) in my childhood. The story went something like this:
There was a kingdom with a king and a Kotwal (security chief). As it happened some dacoit gangs started making merry in the capital after dark. So the security chief proclaimed - let there be no life after dark, citizens will stay indoor for their safety.
The king heard this. This was a wise king. He called for the Kotwal and told him gently -My dear man, it is the right of the CITIZENS to roam in streets after dark.
The Kotwal got the hint; he withdrew the proclamation and arranged for the dacoits to be hunted out.

Its a story that made its impression on me. That is how a mature, caring power should behave; alas I have realized that we as a people behave more like Kotwal rather than the king.
So some joints got robbed, some people got drunk in restaurants and made nuisance and so the police now close down all restaurants by 11. (Some people like me, at times get off work by that hour. so the only choice is to leave work before, eat and come back to work and stay till like 1 but that is digressing).

Recently the apartment complex I live had its society formed. I see the same bias here. Rules say - no bachelor can be given house on rent. I believe the underlying assumption is that bachelors will lead 'immoral life' somehow, have boisterous late night parties. I agree many do that, but then if you look closely it’s typically those fresh out of college, full on hostel spirit and exuberance of youth. Guys like me, working from morning to night or whose idea of fun is to generally curl up with a good book, get short changed. What about couples with kids? I have it on first hand experience that a gang of kids playing in park can wake up a sound sleeper on 11th floor. Should all kids be banned?
Do couple do not have noisy parties? Excuse me I just lived through football world cup. I didn’t need TV to know when something exciting happened.
Similar rule says no foreigner can be given flat on rent. Why? Go figure. Maybe it is bad to know about different cultures?

The point of the post is that we do not ban the behaviour that causes problem; we ban the most vulnerable group. So police instead of dealing with late night hooligans will close down life after some cutoff time. Societies instead of confronting nuisance will ban what they can easily ban. The reason I took the society example is because it’s not some Bureaucracy but we a resident group ourselves who have this thinking. Bureaucracy can get away with it, because we as a people think exactly the same way.

1 comment:

The Chef said...

Hey, there is a silver lining. Supreme Court ruled that women be allowed to be bar-tenders, it will lead to law and order issues, Court ruled is a side effect for which freedom to practise a profession cannot be curbed and agencies like Police need to prepare themselves for a society where women work as they wish to and when they wish to.