Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Story Telling

Came across some stories from Panchatantra here. Reminded me all those happy times spent reading Amar Chitra Katha. Somehow stories like those in Panchatantra or Jatak tales always interested me more. Similarly the ones in Chandamama of those days. The stories will have quaint villages, simple people in non so simple situations and handling it by tact, luck or cunning as the case may be. No super heroes, no divine intervention.
Storytelling as an art form seem to be loosing its sheen. I hardly come across any modern work with the same charm.
Part of it is because I am looking for whats essentially passe as a style, but then so many of my friends also enjoyed those books then and enjoy them still, so there is still a market. Here again, i believe its easier to publish online and still make money, print, I wonder if it still makes money.

1 comment:

The Chef said...

Ye, i too was fond of Chandamama and ACK. Panchtantra stories have found their way out as VCDs but probably others are lost. I guess that can be a way forward. They can have sites with paid membership too read or VCDs. Though we all agree i guess, the charm of paper and being able to read it anywhere (even in your school ground) makes comics on paper the thing to be. Sometimes i feel the same for Enid Blyton.