Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ah what games we play

" I will write to the Guinness Book of World Records. This is the only Prime Minister who has not even won a municipality election and has become the Prime Minister of India." - Natwar singh in as reported in The Hindu.
While I may doubt the motives of the man in saying this, am fairly confident he will deny, call it misreporting, once the government starts ensuring that the law does take its turn; this is an important question to raise. Should the PM or any of the really sensitive cabinet position, be a person not directly elected by people?
I was frankly shocked by the induction of Shivraj Patil as the Home Minister. An unsaid rule is the Home Minister is the 2nd in command of the nation after the PM. And here we had a person who has just lost a Lok Sabha election, being elevated to the 2nd most powerful post in India. A person, people in his constituency chose fit not to even make a member of parliament becomes the Home Minister of the nation.
That was probably the unkindest cut of 'em all. And somehow his performance explains why he lost. The only reason he is there in that position is because I believe he falls in that servents of the family group. Why should he work hard when his performance - leading to his re-election or not- doesnt really matter?
I now think that it might have been better if the lady has actually took up the chief chair. As it turns out she now has all the power and jilch responsibility. Always an extremely dangerous situation. That may explain why our supposedly upright and right thinking PM has actually signed on so many constitutional murders. Because it is he whom I now consider two faced, spineless politician and not the person who probably wrote that proclaimation.
And that folks indicates that the lady is the best politico of them all. Maybe she does deserve the chief's chair.

1 comment:

The Chef said...

I sometimes wonder if people of Manmohan's track record can be so spineless, meek and so lacking in self respect. Sometines i think had it been me i would have thrown paper at their face but here is what i think. Sitting on the dirty hotseat and having to deal with all the resposibility and nasty remarks and rollbacks, I think what might be going in his mind is -- let me stay instead of 0 output if somebody else comes to chair, let me stay for the larger good of the nation and atleast produce a 5-10% output from this chair. I sincerely hope he is bearing the brunt of his party and madam for the greater cause.