Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Now just what did I want to say?

I love George Bush, not for what he has done to the world, but for what he has done for India. I was in US during his re-election and having seen the opposition I had no hesitation in wishing for his win. His very streak of -rest go to hell, I am right - was what likened him to me. I could make out that this is one President who can actually side with India and make it work.
American (at least man on the street) ignorance of rest of the world is surprising and media is amazingly politically motivated. So any normal president would never have had the courage.
So here we have a President in Oval office who worked for nuclear deal, stuck for outsourcing etc, all domestically not too popular courses. Surprisingly many in India oppose the gentleman. I was surprised to hear of protests in India when he visited. Arguably what he is doing in Mideast is not correct, and I personally think the war was and is immoral. But he was in India more to cement India-US relations where I think we are heading in right direction. So those who protested forgot, or choose not to look at the real reason for visit. I am only guess at motives of the protestors.
Among those supporting the protests were the left parties. I find communisms basic philosophy tempting but I loathe the movement. I think the extent of human right violation in many of these erstwhile communist countries was probably the biggest after those of slavery. Conduct of most communist monopolistic movement is eerily similar to another one of modern world that troubles most of us.
The problem is not in philosophy of communism, which at equality of humans and distribution of wealth is so tempting (and that’s why so many innocent youngsters are tempted by it), it’s in human nature. If someone has power over others, sooner or later, that power will be misused to subjugate people. I think these parties are scared that if India really progresses, then people might actually start thinking what made them prosperous. It will do us all a lot of service if all kids were made to read and understand 1984.
The more I think about it, the more I find some sort of enlightened capitalism good. Yes it has its drawbacks, where a rich corporation can really became another of those powers we don't want. But then, that is why we have a government, to check the misuse of power by people. But by leaving people free to choose their own pursuits, it can lead to highest sense of happiness and control. Central planning cannot work. Look at a typical government. A Municipality in India these days does nothing except cleaning and road maintenance and it messes up both very bad. How can it ever manage to control lives of people and still leave them happy?

So knowing these left parties I am sure that if there is a clash between India and say China, I will not be surprised if Indian left parties work against India supporting China. Hence I understand leftist opposition to US and India coming closer because it has a potential to change some rules of the game. And when people feel confident about themselves, they hate control, and communist parties cannot survive that ways.
But what about people? Why do people, ordinary guys in street see that? I can only imagine a lack of knowledge, lack of understanding. And that maybe the reason why, government in power have never tried to reform the education system to make it effective for the masses. Because that drains their own lifeblood

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally, you are getting into politics in your blogs! ;)

Some comments-
1) As an Indian, I agree with most of what you say about Bush. But he is screwing his own country by what he is doing in Iraq. Even his handling of the current Mideast crisis is questionable. He is making things worse by putting Hezbulah in the same category as Al-Qaeda. I believe what their actions and influence is mostly regional and they are focussed on their mission, and they are fighting causes, which directly affect them. And this is the main difference between them & AQ.

2) Communism as you said has its pros and cons... China is a shining example of how a communist country can quickly develop its infrastructure and create laws which will help them achieve 10%+ growth rate. But of course human rights is a big -ve. But eventually, if all this benefits the common man, I would say it is worth it. It will be interesting to see how & whether India as a democracy will be able to sustain a high growth rate.
But in any case, I think what you are trying to advocate is similar to NRN's philosophy of compassionate capitalism.
And of course, I am sure we both agree that there is a lot of merit in that philosophy!

p.s. I think you need a grammar check on your blog post. Or is it a case of WUI - Writing Under the Influence of alcohol! :)

DreamCatcher said...

I was trying to avoid politics. This blog was intended to be a random musings blog. Then I realized a random scribble blog ain't that good an idea.
1. Yes, I find Bush good purely from an Indian perspective. In a way what he is doing elsewhere also has good but lets not get into that flamewar.
2. I don't think China is an example of communist country shining, its an example of an authoritarian country shining. A small but subtle difference I think.
PS: Yup is there some FF plugin that I can use to grammer check? I often type in word, check and then paste here but you know my sloth is quite legendary. If some online tool is there, will be great. Alas no luck with WUI, I blog at work (ok, from place where I am supposed to work).

Anonymous said...

What you need to do... is move to Live Spaces and use Windows Live Writer! :)
http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/

The Chef said...

I agree with Piyush- Hezbullah is diff from Al-Qaida. Why Bush screwing US is alarming is because being the only superpower and being the largest source of Industrial growth and technological advancement (and the controller of world's most widely used currency), a troubled US would certainly mean a troubled world some years down the line. It is big responsibility to be Prez of USA.
As for comments on China, agree that it is an authoritarian shine but that serves the other purpose also. While on Human Development Index India was rated around 95 China was around 65. So whatever they do, it does help the downtrodden Chinese folks positively in some way. Shall I say what is utalitarian is good.

DreamCatcher said...

Well one good thing that may turn out because of Bush adventurism is that it will give rise to a more multipolar world. Remember the old saying - All power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. So I feel in the end, it may turn out to be good for the world, though bad for US.
Still for argument sake, why is Bush authoritarianism bad and Chinese good? Maybe because both are being used for different purposes. But what stops China from being led by someone like Bush?
The idea in my view should be, never allow any one individual or institution to be so powerful that should it corrupt, there is no checking it.
You know the more I think about the ideals of US constitution, the more I love it. For instance, I could never understand many an American's obsessions about not having Gun control and all. Now I realize, it is all about power being in the hand of people- the real components of the society and not any single individual/agency. It is also this almost obsessive quality of individual freedom that made US what it is.
Probably why so many hate Bush is because many of his actions seem to undermine some of these freedoms. But I have trust in humans still, once freedom is tasted, people will do anything to regain it. These are transition times. From an old system of isolated communities to a very new global village. The path will not be easy, but the end will be worth it.

Anonymous said...

Well, Bush does not have total control as such... There is the congress and the senate.. but ofcourse Bush has the veto power... but over Bush, there is the judiciary. Like just today a federal judge rules that Bush's wiretapping is unconstitutional.

But in any case, there are benefits of one person having the power to make decisions, when needed...
For e.g. to tackle terrorism, I think the president needs the power to make decisions without the delay of it having to go through the congress and senate. In the case of China, the government has the power to make decisions which allow them to cut the red tape and make sure foreign investment/infrastructure are not stuck and move quickly because the industry needs them..

On the other hand, there are cons as well, but I think specially for China, the benefits have outweighed the disdvantages.