Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

of Hope

Finally i managed to visit New York. As someone who loves cities, I found NY to be as much as I wanted it to be. Vibrant, glitzy and fun.
All the great collection of people that converge there, relishing the delights of a megapolis make it a truly remarkable city. You hear all sorts of languages while walking down the streets, bump into people across the world. This post tho, will touch only a small part of the experience. I had only arnd a day in the city, too short a time by any stretch of imagination for a city of this size. I do believe that the best way to really see a city is by living in it, hopefully someday I shall manage to live in the Big Apple too.
As mentioned I had only a few hrs, so we (Nali and I) decided staten island ferry might be a good way to see the skyline and have a dekkho at the statue of Liberty. The ferry itself turned out to be a disappointment, with all windows being closed. Guess they couldnt help it, it being freezing outside, still watching the towering Manhatten skyline from a closed ferry deck is no fun. So here we are, both thinking what a waste. Still I'm in New York and there is plenty to look at.
Suddenly looms the Statue. I was a bit disappointed at its size and all. Then Nali mentions, imagine this being hundred years ago, U a poor immigrant braving a very hazardous journey for many days, sailing to the hope called America. Its been closed cramped stormy sees and suddenly you see her.Hope now standing there welcoming you in the form of a towering statue in a distance draining away all the tiredness.
Yes indeed it struck me. Today there might be the imposing Manhattan skyline, but the Lady is special because she symbolizes hope. The idea that is America.

2 comments:

The Chef said...

To digress a bit, I was watching(on youtube) Letterman with Bush and this man was taking all sorts of liberties with the President sitting right next to him - ranging from Bush's amazing un-common sense to some funny clips on his pronunciation. Had this been our country, poor producer would have been thrown out under pressure of GOI on the channel. America indeed represents free will, speech and liberation at all levels. But what is great is that in making a statue of liberty they declared this liberation for the poor immigrants as well, not in * marked words but for all the world to see.

Anonymous said...

When will Seattle find its place?