Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Thursday, October 12, 2006

The adventure sport

"Writing can be a dangerous activity" thus spake a headline in The Hindu. Well our dear lady- Ms Kiran Desai has the Man Booker and all is well with the world. I had read speculations that she will win it one day after her first novel came out and she has done it in very good time.
To those who scoff at this profound truth- of writing being an adventure sport, I merely say "Ha!". They apparently have never attended one of my impromptu poetry sessions I sometimes subject my worst enemies to. There is an almost divine sense of happiness on watching someone face contort with literary anguish when that someone is your arch non friend.
The latest Monkism is- You are either with me or you Will listen to me(Period) And there are plenty of masters around. Many of my top bosses are very fond of cracking humorous things in their often made speeches. Nothing quite as interesting as to see someone on stage mike in hand, crack a joke, look around with a telling pause while the audience decides the most appropriate response to the as yet unclear -is it a joke or something else- statement. Then some start crying, some laughing, some sombre; each as per own interpretation of the intent. When all dies down, I start laughing at the whole thing. Whack! come the immediate boss's feedback restoring peace.
And they say writing is an arm chair hobby *rubbing head*!

No comments: