Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Food experience in Pune

Pune is pretty much the land of food joints. Anywhere you go, there is always an eatery nearby. On weekends any place that serves anything that may be conceptually called food is filled to the brim, waiting time often extending tortuously long. Now before you go gaga over the whole food scene let me let out a secret. Please notice the very subtle use of the avoidance of anything remotely resembling 'good in taste' kind of phrase. Lets face it, most food tastes the same most places and unfortunately it tastes of flavors I'd rather have it didn't.
Still the law of averages does catch up. While the majority of joints sorely disappoint the food sensualist in me, there are some notable exception. And again let me at the outset warn you, I am fond of Koregaon joints. Eating out for me is not merely about the food. Its also about the ambiance, the service, the taste, in short the entire experience. But yes Food taste is usually the factor upper most in my mind.
I studiously avoid having North Indian food at any joint in Pune. The only exception was a place called Shelley's in Kothrud Pune who usually had sumptuous Rajasthani food. It was a vegetarian only joint and what endeared it to me was that they actually had vegetables being served. If you look at most veg places, 90% of the dishes are either Paneer or mushroom. rest is Peas, potatoes, spinach, okra. This place would serve you varieties of Gourds, different pulses, Parvals and what not. The only thing to take care was to ask them if their usual cook was not on leave. When that gentleman was off, the food used to be bad.
There is another joint called Sanskruti which I have heard serves good Rajasthani food but I've never visited it so can't comment. I do have good memories of sampling local cuisine at Singharh fort. There is a good restaurant near SNDT on Karve road where you get good Maharashtrian fare at rock bottom prices. Otherwise you can get good local food in the Peth areas.
I used to like Ambrosia for the walks it offered. Last few trips the sign of place going down were visible. Cracked crockery, bad food and you can start making out. Then on weekends they started the DJ thing in lawns and that stopped the fun of a post dinner stroll. So i have stopped going there.
Aundh has a surprise in Polka dots which serves kind of 'original' mexican/italian/greek/mixed cuisine. They have managed to come up with great tasting dishes though. But 'Kobe' is a disappointment. For its prices, the food atleast need to taste good if not outstanding.
JM road has the highest number of eateries. I once had amazingly good Gujrati food in one of the joints but never rediscovered the place after a long stint out of Pune. But by and large its the typical udipi kind of experience at JM, an experience I aint too fond of. If you do land up there, take time out to sample the kachchi Dabeli at the begining of the road from Deccan side. Its a road side vendor who serves awesome Dabelis. THen there is this Sherbet guy near the Honda Showroom though I guess he puts up shop only during summers. There also used to be a small roadside joint opposite Barista. It was run by an old lady who used to made very good food. Haven't been there in ages so she may have vanished now, otherwise you can have a full lunch for a few rupees there.
Recently went to ZK's in Lulla Nagar. There restaurant is Ok, I tried some Italian there. Not the best but decent fare. Very recently I decided to get adventurous and check their lounge. Verdict? Don't. For the price of a Ferrari, they'll give you an Ambassador. The seating is all bad. A lounge has no business laying out seats like some office lunch place. The lighting doesnt help. The barmen confuse a cocktail with Sherbets. and the prices frankly are absurd.
Lets move to Koregaon now. Thats the place I generally go out to eat. Prices here may be on the higher side but the food usually is good.
My late favorite used to be Indyaki. I found their service to be 3rd rate for any joint forget something aiming to be upper crust still their cook esp for continental food made the place worth it. However the place seem to have vanished of late and no one seems to know why. Pity because when I used to frequent it couple of years ago it seemed to be doing well.
Then there is Arthur's Theme. I recently figured out their menu. Arthur is king Arthur and the theme seems to be royalty. So the dishes are all named after kings and queens. The food here is usually good. They for some reason do not have a wine menu, but do stock a few drinks. Alas no cocktails n all but you can get a basic red/white wine or beer or alcohol. Service is decent and prices reasonable. Overall probably the best bet in good dining out in Pune now.
ABC farms is another good place. What used to be Jazz Garden is now Soul. Jazz Garden had good food thought too much attitude in its servers. Soul has just enhanced the prices, the food I found disappointing. Swiss Garden was my earlier favorite in good food but my last trip somehow changed it. The oil tasted stale - maybe they fried the mushrooms in the same oil which they used for frying some fish earlier or whatever- the food was below par, the cocktails disappointing.
OVer all I noticed a certain downhill path for most places. Maybe with Pune growing the way it is and given the general eating out, the places do not bother to retain diners by taste.

No comments: