Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Midnight Musings revisited

Been streaming music from the old crummy laptop onto the new phone where the fairly decent headphones are doing a good job. Discovered a few songs by Abhijit Pohankar (check out this dude, especially Piya Bawari if you haven't yet listened to it) which brought back memories of those classical music fests of SPIC MACAY and Pune days.
Recent years has seen some revival with many masters coming up with catchy modern numbers sung classical style. I remember all songs of Sardari Begum ( Aarti Ankalikar- another amazing singer) which became quite popular. Then there have been other musicians and singers who have been coming up with hit creations.
While I can't say I've enjoyed most classical concerts as much as I'd have preferred to. For one, for someone not trained in classical music, its not easy to always follow the skills. Then the masters themselves are not always endearing. There are exceptions. Count yourself lucky if you find yourself listening to some combination of Us. Zakir Hussain, Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, Pt. Shiv Kumar Sharma. Folks who enjoy playing their art as much as audience loves to hear it. I've had the pleasure of compeering on of Pt. Chaurasia's concert. Apart from that I've heard him many times in live concerts. He believes if the audience is appreciative, he doesn't mind playing all night, its as much fun for him as for him. Its on occasions like these when the night is 'just right' that I've found some of the greatest music being played. I remember an evening of a few years ago in Pune when Us. Zakir Hussain, Us. Sultan Khan and Shiv Mani playing next to Shaniwar Wada. Another awesome evening and I was especially enthralled by the tabla Maestro. Never thought that a tabla can be played like that!
I've found Shubha Mudgal again another enjoyable practitioner. Someone who chooses the songs as per the audience, mixing easy to listen with hard to render and explaining the progression.
Among dancers again I had the pleasure of sitting with Sonal Mansingh for a hour or so. This was many many years ago in Allahabad on the banks of the Ganges. I sauntered in her camp while she was getting ready for a performance and I was delighted by a hot cup of tea and talk to her for almost an hour. Somehow its hard to come across star performers like that now, who would not shoo away a young boy but will rather happily chat about tough and good times of life. And that is part of the charm of a live show.
Talking of shows, been planning to visit the Jaisalmer desert festival for many years now. Alas this year too will be wasted since the place will be half a world away in Feb, but will definitely try next year.

No comments: