Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

In other News

Sony electronic book reader is out here. Been waiting for a long while for a product like this. While nothing to me, beats the plain old fashioned books, having a heavy tome on the tummy while reading in bed can get uncomfortable very soon. Laptops again are out for the same reason.
While this baby from Sony, being Sony- will be I'm sure expensive.
The whole ebook, e-ink thing has been so long in the making. I remember discussion about this in pre-2000 days. Sadly no worthy product did hit the shelves. I am skeptical about the whole availability of the ebooks at an affordable price. If the books are like $20/- + to begin with, affordability will ensure that the product stays just a gadget love rather than a real useful way to read books.
The real utility of an ebook for me is if its very light. Then keeping one around for late night reading, short travels where the weight of packing books is an issue. Why pack? because eg Hindi books are not all that available elsewhere. Publishers may do well to pack in a ebook edition along with the paperback for a small additional consideration.
So hopefully I soon shall not have to worry about hunting for the right reading material on those trips abroad.

1 comment:

The Chef said...

Don't know about books but newspapers can certainly do it. Post a file on their site, you download to your epad and read it in bus or bustop. It would be convenient and would save a lot of print.