Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Hong Kong Travails

My apologies for suddenly vanishing from the scene. As it happens, I somehow found myself landing on Hong Kong a fine Sunday morning. Some client of us needed some urgent attention on one of their systems and so here I am finally experiencing the joys of our neighbour's hospitality.
Hong Kong is a fun place. Small, very efficient public transport, lots of people, high rise and generally bustling energy. Yesterday I managed to check out on of those shopping districts too. As such I am staying and working in the heart of their financial district, so evening it gets somewhat quiet. But Tsim Shats Tsui, where I went yesterday was throbbing with people at 11. And to confess, I love civilization, the glitzy eating places, people hanging out having fun.
Life has been busy this week, primarily in meeting people, so I have not been able to explore the city much. My first impression being that people here are polite and infrastructure very well managed. Somehow I did not find too many Indians here, a rarity these days. But TST had quite a few and well yes that the part where many expats live and work.
11 pm I rushed back to catch the ferry to Central HKG, being in a mood for a boat ride and then along with a couple of friends, got into the Lang Kwai Fong or some such sounding place. This is the pub and eating area in Central, a steeply rising network of a few streets on a hill, that has pubs all over and people swinging beers on roads, on roofs, on stairs. Life is spiced when some theme party gets over and folks come out to drink more :).
For a place where I did not see too many non Chinese, the street packs an amazing number of foriegners. I guess this is where they end up all night. While not quite the Vegas, still its places like these that makes travellers feel at home :).

2 comments:

Angshuman said...

Good to know you're having fun in Hong Kong! Hope you find time for blogging!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates :)