Sometimes I wish my life had a erase/rewind button

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Lost for Generations!

I came across this piece in Outlook reviewing a book on Shri Aurobindo and I realized that I have no real context to judge the book or the review for authenticity!
It is quite a shame that whole generations of Indians have grown up without knowing anything about India. Except for some kings of ancient India and smattering of Medieval India - mostly limited to Mughal empire and few notables like Shivaji and Tipu Sultan, no real discussion happens about modern India and its leaders - save Gandhi, Nehru and Bose.
What is lost is the knowledge of life and times of an galaxy of illustrious individuals who have done keen work in social spheres, philosophy, music and literature. What was the social condition of India before Raja Ram Mohan Roy and how did he effect that change? What about Swami Dayanand Saraswati? C Rajgopalachari?
So I land up in this embarrassing situation where a Frenchman writes about one of the modern greats of India and I in spite of my (above average I think) reading have no way to judge!

1 comment:

The Chef said...

True, i have now read in detail about Ramanujam. Knew he was a great mathematician but how great and what he did and abt his life i read today from a book in lib. over here. A good read - http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Clerk-Novel-David-Leavitt/dp/1596910402

Never in school lib, nor a mention in Maths text books.